Healthy body, healthy spirit, healthy mothering. This is the journey I have set out on with my two amazing children.

Friday, September 14, 2012

Summer Garden Yumminess


First of all a quick apology.  Almost 3 months and no post.  No excuses, I just haven't gotten around to it.  School is in full swing (95% on my first major Immunology exam-Woot! Woot!).  The car is sitting in a parking lot in a puddle of coolant.


Blah.



Blah.



Blah.


Meanwhile, I am continuing to see a Nutritionist and a counselor in order to get my horrible food habits under control.  Along those lines, the kids and I are getting a lot of gorgeous produce from our community garden.



Pear tomatoes, zucchini, green bell peppers.  Yum!




Our garden bounty has led to some seriously yummy eats around here.  My first creation was going to be pasta with chicken sausage and peppers but at the last minute I decided to use up some potatoes I had laying around.  There is no recipe to go with this one I literally threw it all together with no plan at all.  Cooked the bite size sausage first (I used all-natural, no nitrates, free range chicken sausage).  Then the potatoes.  Then the bite size veggies.  Add sausage back into the pot and seasoned with oregano, salt & pepper and lots of garlic.  We LOVE LOVE LOVE garlic.



 Doesn't that look good?





Onions, peppers, tomatoes & zucchini all from my garden. 


We also made some bruschetta to go with it.  I did not make the bread (although I can when I have the time).  Rosemary and olive oil bread from Costco.  Yellow pear and other tomatoes from my garden with salt, pepper and fresh garlic.  I used pre-made pesto which is why I didn't add any olive oil to my maters.  We have made this at least 4x since this first day.  It is that good.


































I am so very glad we decided to give the community garden a try.  It has been hard to get there to water and harvest now that school is our primary focus but it is so worth it.  I have even begun to teach myself how to can some of the extra tomatoes this year.


I hope you are getting to enjoy some delicious fresh produce while the weather is still good.





3 comments:

Linda said...

Yum :)

Marlene Yzaguirre said...

Looks yummay Honey! I am so proud of you, even though the hours at the CG weren't compatible with your already busy life, you persevered!!!!
Next year at Aunt EJ's will be much more doable for all of you's and the hidden blessing there is Aunt EJ and you's have more family time!!
Good all around!
I am so glad you are continuing on with your nutritionist and counseling, they can help you see things that connect your past to your present and help guide you to make different healthy choices for you and then that will benefit the kids too!
It's a win win! But the work is of course hard, but you're used to hard work honey!
You can do this!
I pray for you and the kids every day My Precious Daughter!
Hugs and Hugs!!!!

Monkey said...

According to the interwebs, you can freeze whole tomatoes. I'm trying it soon, as our garden is exploding with them! That bruschetta looks delish!
M