Healthy body, healthy spirit, healthy mothering. This is the journey I have set out on with my two amazing children.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Mini omelettes

Hi.  I am Momma.  I am addicted to Pinterest.

And it is amazing.  

Seriously. 

Amazing.


I found this recipe for mini frittatas pinned and decided to give it a try.  





I have been looking for some simple ideas for breakfast for the kids and I.  These little guys were easy to make and they freeze well.  Now, I am calling them mini omelettes because for some reason my daughter has an aversion to frittatas.  Change the name and the kids entire attitude about them changes as well.  :)  

I pretty much followed the recipe exactly as it is written on the Disney Family Fun page except that I doubled the recipe.

  • 8 organic eggs
  • 1/2 C organic half and half 
  • 6 strips turkey bacon (baked in oven--no grease)
  • 1/2 C chopped onion
  • 1/4 C shredded organic baby carrots
  • 3 oz shredded medium cheddar cheese
  • 3/4 tsp onion
  • 1/2 tsp pepper (I used 3/4 and it was VERY peppery)
  • 3/4 tsp garlic powder

Beat eggs, half and half and spices together.  Pour about 1/4 C into greased (or sprayed) muffin tins.  This made just enough for a 12 muffin tin.  Add veggies and turkey bacon to tins then top with cheese.  Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.  

I calculated the calories and it comes out to only 111 calories per mini omelette.  Not too bad for a quick breakfast or snack that is packed with protein.  These tasted great while hot and I had 2 this morning for breakfast, reheated in microwave for 1 minute and they were still tasty.  I am planning to make some different versions of these, maybe a mexican style, veggie etc...  
  

No comments: