Healthy body, healthy spirit, healthy mothering. This is the journey I have set out on with my two amazing children.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Quinoa: It's whats for dinner.




It's WIAW time again, thanks to the lovely Jen from Peas and Crayons.

This past week was all about the quinoa.  I had never made it before, I'm not even sure if I'd ever had it before but the blogosphere seemed to be filled with recipes so I decided to jump on the bandwagon.  I headed to my not-so-favorite "healthy" store (a mass-marketed shop filled with more non-organic than organics) because my Natural Grocers was out of this ingredient that day.  :(


B: As usual breakfast tends to be either a chai or a coffee plus whatever fruit I can grab as I am racing out the door.  I eat/drink it in the car while racing to campus.  I NEVER go to my cadaver class on an empty stomach as it seems to make the smell so much worse.

Morning Snack: Raw almonds, some dried apricots and lots of oh-so-good for me filtered water.  :)  I ate these bad boys while hiding in my favorite library cubicle and studying something.  Or maybe I was just reading my favorite blogs.




L: The best quinoa casserole.  Lightly sauteed veggies (red peppers, onions, corn, spinach) add some cilantro and black beans to the quinoa.  Toss and eat.  I topped mine with some yummy fresh made organic salsa.


 Saute-ing the veggies.



Yum!  Eaten while studying cranial nerves.


D: Spicy Black Bean Cakes

I got this recipe from my little sis MonkeMama.   Basic Recipe came from Debbi Does Dinner which my sis forwarded to me.   As usual I had to mess with the recipe and make it my own.  

Bean Cakes:
1 onion, minced I used 3/4 onion 
6 cloves of garlic, finely minced
1 jalapeno peppers, diced I used 1 can of green chiles
1/2 red pepper I upped this to 3/4 of a red pepper
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes We like spice so I upped this too
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed I used fresh made black beans (so much better!)
Salt and pepper
1/2 tsp. Epazote (or cumin or adobo spice or whatever) I made the beans with epazote so I added a TON of comino instead
1 cup sweet potato, grated (packed in the cup, don't skimp)
1 egg
2 pieces of 40 calorie bread, toasted and crumbled I used a mixture of cornmeal & packaged bread crumbs I needed to use up






Lime Sour Cream:
1/2 cup sour cream, light I used kefir instead
2 tsp. lime juice I had no limes so I juiced some clementines :)
1 small jalapeno, minced Again, canned green chiles
2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
Salt

Saute veggies & spices then add black beans and mush, mush, mush.  I stopped with the fork and just used my hands.  Add the remaining ingredients and mix then form cakes.  I fried these in olive oil and they came out fine.  :)    I topped them with the kefir sauce and the kids and I inhaled these babies.  I had lots of leftovers for school lunches (lasted all week).


Crappy phone picture.  sorry :(


These were SO FREAKING DELICIOUS!!!  

What have you been eating this week?

2 comments:

Meri said...

Everything is better with a side of cranial nerves, right?
haha, just kidding- casserole looks yummy! I rarely cook with quinoa, should do it more!
Meri
merigoesround.blogspot.com

Jennifer said...

quinoa is totally whats for dinner =) haha thats what I want for diinner tonight! lmao at the skulls caption!!!! omg! too funny! =)

Happy WIAW Tia!!

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons