Healthy body, healthy spirit, healthy mothering. This is the journey I have set out on with my two amazing children.

Friday, March 18, 2011

Sneaky Sneaky

Are you a sneaky mom?  Do you find creative, inspired, sneaky ways to get more veggies into your kids?

I do.  There is just no such thing as a veggie/fruit free meal in my home.

If we are doing breakfast it is primarily based around fruit.  I stopped buying boxed cereal/oatmeal almost 2 years ago and really, I do not miss it at all.  If we are feeling lazy we just grab some whole fruit and almond butter to go.  A standard breakfast is either a fruit smoothie (usually with spinach thrown in as well) or oatmeal with fruit added for sweetness.  Our fruit smoothies have at least 2 different fruits in them at all times.

  • Strawberry + banana
  • Apples + dates
  • Raspberries + blueberries
See?  We love, love, love our fruits.  Plus, I always throw in some ground flax and chia for extra vitamin B goodness.  :)

Even a quick mac 'n cheese lunch can't escape the veggie madness.  I have to add chopped or grated onion, tomatoes, peas, carrot, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms etc...In fact, I can't even remember the last time we had just plain mac 'n cheese.  

A quick sandwich?  Use mushed avocado instead of mayo.  

A salad?  At least 2 different types of leafy greens (iceberg doesn't count), grated carrot, chopped bell peppers, fresh herbs, tomatoes, sprouts, onion etc...makes it taste so much better!

Spaghetti/pasta sauce?  This is the perfect hiding place for pureed veggie goodness.  My son refuses to eat a mushroom that he can see.  But if I grind them in the food processor with the tomatoes he has no clue he is eating them.  Squash, zuchini, carrots, bell peppers, onions---all are easily grated or pureed and added to most sauces without changing the taste enough that my kids get suspicious.

Don't get me wrong.  My kids actually love to eat most veggies.  A beautifully prepared salad will not last long in our home.  There are almost never leftover veg side dishes.  But as a momma who is studying human physiology/nutrition I can't help but try to get even more whole food goodness into their little bodies.  After all, I am trying desperately to counteract the idiocy thinking in their school that cookie, candy & bagged sugar drinks are a positive reward system.  

How about you?  Do you sneak veggies/fruits into your families meals?

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

every meal in my house is based around the veggies. every one of them! =) and obv you're a pro at this too! This is why we're friends! hehe =)

everything in moderation.. except veggies - i love those in excess =)

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons