Healthy body, healthy spirit, healthy mothering. This is the journey I have set out on with my two amazing children.

Monday, February 28, 2011

Homemade pizza pockets

I cannot believe I have never made pizza dough before.  It was so simple.


  • 1 C AP flour
  • 1/3 C milk (I filled 1/2 the measuring cup with kefir and 1/2 with some soy milk)
  • 2 TBSP vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt (I used a pink sea salt I had on hand)
Put into mixer and beat until dough pulls away from sides.  On a lightly floured surface I kneaded dough about 10x.  Then placed a plastic bowl over it and let it sit for 15ish minutes.


Fresh, super quick pizza dough.

While the dough was resting, rising, whatever it was doing I chopped about 1/4 C onion super finely and sliced about 3/4 C sliced pepperoni. 


 


At this point I realized that I didn't have any pizza sauce so I whipped up my very own version.

  • 1 can organic tomato sauce
  • 2 dashes onion powder
  • 1-2 TBSP minced onion
  • 1 chopped garlic clove
  • salt, pepper, oregano, dried parsley  (I didn't measure, just tossed 'em in the bowl)
Stir this together and taste.  :)


YUMMY!


Roll the dough out to about 12 inches and placed on greased baking sheet.  On 1/2 of the dough layer your ingredients.  I did the onion, pepperoni, fresh (locally made) mozzarella (torn into chunks) and then just dolloped the sauce over it.  Not fancy at all.  Fold the other half over your ingredients and seal the edges, make sure to poke a few holes in the top so the steam can escape.  Bake at 425 for 20 minutes or so.







 Fresh from the oven



 Ooey, gooey goodness



 I like to top it with extra sauce.





We really liked it so I actually threw together a second one this time using a pre-made pie crust I had thawed in the fridge and some sliced mushrooms.  Just make sure you drain those babies really really well.  I actually patted mine dry on a hand towel.

Call this what you want.  A pizza pocket or a calzone.  We are definitely adding this to our favorites recipes. 

This is so simple. It tastes WAY better than delivery, I control the ingredients and my kids now think I am super-mom.  :)

Try it, I promise you will love it!




2 comments:

MonkeMama said...

Yum! I don't have a fancy schmancy mixer, think it would still be easy with just the hand mixer?

Tia said...

or even just mix it by hand. Its not thick or anything. :)