Healthy body, healthy spirit, healthy mothering. This is the journey I have set out on with my two amazing children.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

top music

I was reading a great blog (which has since gone private) and the idea was to list the top 100 songs that anybody who wants to be an artist/musician should know.  Well, I am neither an artist nor a musician.  I am just a 35 year old that loves to listen to music.  Most any type of music will do, I just really enjoy the feeling a great song can  get going inside of me.  Sometimes it's just a happy to be alive kind of thing, other times I may need a good cry.  Many of my choices are NOT classics and there are not 100 of them.  In fact, many people will be thinking "this chick must be out of her mind.  That song sucks."  That's ok.  Because this is my list, not yours.  :)  Oh and these aren't in any particular order.  Just the random way my mind works.


I've also tried to link to original videos or performances when I could find them.






















JUST CAUSE
1. Dancing Queen by Abba  Seriously, who could hear this song and not start singing along?  As the song says "you're in the mood for a dance".


ROCK

3. Rock Around the Clock - Bill Hailey & the Comets 

4. Highway to Hell - AC/DC  This is just a great rock song.


5. Walk This Way- Run DMC with Aerosmith  As a kid this was one of my first introductions to rap music.

6.  Smoke on the Water- Deep Purple  Probably the greatest intro riff ever.  Everybody knows  the beginning although maybe not the entire song.

7. Free Bird- Lynyrd Skynyrd


ELVIS PRESLEY  Pretty much anything by the King works for me but these are some of my favorites.
A photograph promoting the film Jailhouse Rock...Image via Wikipedia



MICHAEL JACKSON  Thriller was the first record I bought for myself.  I was 8 years old and I still have it.







Cover of Cover of Thriller




11.  Beat It

12.  Thriller

JACKSON BROWNE


13.  The Pretender

14.  Somebody's Baby - not necessarily his greatest song but one of my personal favorites


OPERA

13. The Phantom of the Opera - Andrew Lloyd Webber  If only because it was this opera that first introduced me to opera as a musical art form.  I have learned to love and enjoy listening to many classics because of this song.

BOY BANDS

14. I Want it That Way - Backstreet Boys  I know.  I know.  

CHEATING SONGS

15.  Your Cheatin' Heart- Hank Williams  His voice was just cool.

16. Crazy - Patsy Cline  Maybe not technically a cheater but given her life story this is where it seems to fit best.

COUNTRY CLASSICS When I think of my young childhood this is the music that comes to mind.  My favorite memory is of mom blasting our stereo while dancing around & cleaning the house.  She was listening to the classic country station.

17. The Devil Went Down to Georgia - Charlie Daniels Band  Outside of strict bluegrass this is the best fiddle song there is.

18.  Behind Closed Doors - Charlie Rich

19.  Hello Darlin' - Conway Twitty  This could be under cheating songs as well, but I always think of Conway Twitty as one of the country greats.

20.  I Believe in You - Don Williams

21.  Lord I Hope This Day is Good - Don Williams  Really any song by this man sends a shiver down my spine.  Honest, simple and amazing.

22.  King of the Road - Roger Miller



LOVE SONGS

23.  Love Song - The Cure  

24. Hit the Road Jack - Ray Charles  This is the classic end of love song.

25. La Vie en Rose - Edith Piaf

26. It's Too Late - Carole King

27. It Ain't Me Babe - Joan Baez  "I'm not the one you want babe.  I will only let you down."  Simple honesty.  It kills me.

GOTTA DANCE

28.  Bootylicious - Destiny's Child  I am not the biggest Beyonce fan but this song makes me move.  I couldn't link to it because I have the Youtube safety filter enabled and this song is blocked.  :)

MOVIE SONGS

29.  Falling Slowly from "Once"- Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova  Such a lovely melody.

30.  Eye of the Tiger - Survivor  It may not be the theme to Rocky but this is the song I think of every time I see a picture of Sylvester Stallone.

STORY SONGS

31.  Harper Valley PTA - Jeannie C. Riley  As a kid I never understood why my mom loved to listen to this song.  Now, I'm a single mom and sometimes I feel I could use this song as my personal anthem.  Plus my mom was a single mom for a lot of years and I can still picture her wearing her blue jean mini skirt and pink heels.  It was the 80s so don't judge.

32.  Coat of Many Colors - Dolly Parton  This dang song makes me cry every time I hear it.

MY MORNING SONGS PLAYLIST (well, not all of them, but my favorites)  I am NOT a positive, suzy sunshine kind of person.  Most days, I am grumpy or just plain bitchy about something or everything.  I try to start my day with some good music with the idea being to put me in the right frame of mind.  No, it doesn't always work but I keep listening for songs to add to the list.

33.  Three Little Birds - Bob Marley  Such a positive, upbeat song.  "Don't worry about a thing cuz every little thing gonna be all right."

34.  I Saw the Light - Hank Williams

35.  Good Day Sunshine - The Beatles

36.  Respect - Aretha Franklin  Reminder to myself not to settle for the treat-me-like-crap guy I am usually attracted to.

REALLY NEGATIVE STUFF THAT I LOVE FOR NO GOOD REASON


37.  Hate Me - Blue October  The guy wants his ex to hate him because he is no good for her.  He's a drunk/depressed/drugged out selfish SOB that treats her like crap and she just keeps coming back for more.  I wish my ex-husband had loved me enough to say this to me.  Twisted but true.  "Hate me today.  Hate me tomorrow.  Hate me so finally you can see what's good for you."

38.  Baby Got Back - Sir Mix a Lot  Such a misogynistic song.  My guilty pleasure.  I just can't not sing this song when I hear it.

39.  Good Girls Bad Guys - DMX  My ex used to say this was our song.  Pretty self explanatory.  Also a bit depressing.

MUSIC THAT REMINDS ME OF MY DAD


40.  CCR

41.  Bachman Turner Overdrive

42.  The Doors

43.  The Allman Brothers

44.  Crosby, Stills, Nash &/or Young---he loved them all

45.  Bread

46.  Firefall-  A Colorado band that Dad just loved.  He took me to see them up in Golden at some little bar when I was in my 20s.  It was nice to hang out with him.

47.  The Eagles- Dad loved their music.  All of it.  I can't hear a song by them and not picture Dad rockin' out, drumming on whatever was at hand; a table, his leg, the steering wheel or one of us kids' backs or legs.  Dad loved to drum.

48.  Mi Abuelito - Fernando Ortega  The only Christian song that makes me think of Dad.   He loved it because he said it reminded him of his own Dad.

49.  Tom Petty-  Anything before the year 2000.

80s MUSIC THAT I NOW TORTURE MY KIDS WITH


50.  Raspberry Beret - Prince  My kids know that if a Prince song comes on (not just this song) that they need to zip it and let Momma sing.

51.  Uptown Girl - Billy Joel  I am sitting here watching the video with Christie Brinkley as the uptown girl & Billy as a mechanic right now in my head.  Love it!  Click on the link if you want to watch it too.

52.  Anything by Bob Seger-  My mom LOVED him and I grew up listening to all of his songs.

53.  The Lovecats - The Cure

54. Duran Duran - Pretty much any song from their 80s albums will get me singing along.

55.  Sexy & 17 - The Stray Cats  My one and only trip to rock-a-billy land.




























Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

MonkeMama said...

Awesome list! Made me sad, laugh, happy, nod my head. I'm heading to iTunes right now. I love you!

Tia said...

Happy to inspire. :) So that's why you sent me the text about wishing we could still share music. I'm a bit slow but I gotcha now. Love you!