Healthy body, healthy spirit, healthy mothering. This is the journey I have set out on with my two amazing children.

Saturday, July 03, 2010

Holy Crap Batman! I have muscles!

This post should actually be titled Holy motherbleepin' bleepity bleep bleep!  

That has been the soundtrack to my mornings for the past two weeks.  You see, my mom asked me to be her workout partner with a dvd her doctor gave her.  Simple premise.  If you have 15 minutes you can do this workout.  I don't know anybody, or have ever known anybody that doesn't have 15 minutes a day.  So I agreed, set my alarm for 25 minutes earlier (the extra 10 minutes was so that I could find my tennis shoes and get a glass of water.)

Day 1: squats, running in place, push ups, ab work

Day 2: shoulder presses, jumping jacks, bicep curls, ab work

Day 3: tricep dips, jumping jacks, squats, ab work

Day 4: lat pulls, jumping jacks, 3 different kinds of push ups, ab work

You do 20 seconds, all out as high intensity as you can then 20 seconds rest.  Another 20 seconds all out followed by 20 seconds rest.  Then one last 20 second rep followed by 2 minutes of walking, stretching and drinking water.  You then go back and do the three 20 second reps of the next exercise.  This continues until you finish all four exercises.





The squats were torture from the get go.  By the second rep my thighs and butt were on fire.  Actually I may have preferred an actual fire because then I would've had an excuse to actually sit down rather than just teasing myself with the whole halfway down then back up crapola.  I also did my first push ups since high school.  It wasn't pretty.





On day 2 I realized that I can't do jumping jacks anymore.  There were two reasons for this.

1--I need a better sports bra.  The girls were still headed up when I was headed back down and vice versa.  That is more pain that ANY exercise is worth.

2--My knee (left knee torn LCL 5 years ago) is still not strong enough for jumping of any variety.

Day 3 was the most discouraging.  I can't do the tricep dips.






I ended up doing the old school weights behind the head thing.





Day four almost killed me.  Those push ups are tricky suckers.  Your lats are already sore from the pulls and the first set of normal push ups had lulled me into a false sense of security.  The 2nd rep is of push ups with your arms spread wide.  This is damn near impossible as it utilizes your already screaming lats.  3rd set is with your arms close together.  I can now feel muscles in my lower arms and triceps that I never even knew I had.  It's been more than 24 hours and those boogers are still sore.  I may need to invest in an ice pack.

I am doing day 1 and 2 on Monday, Tuesday and resting on Wednesday.  Days 3 and 4 are Thursday and Friday with the weekend off.  I have also been VERY careful of what I am eating.  I make sure I get at least 2 servings of fruits/veggies with EVERY meal, have just about given up soda (down from 2 large McD's cokes a day) and have replaced that with water.  Doc dvd wants me to basically cut out all carbs while I reestablish a normal metabolism but I haven't managed that yet.

The good news?  I have lost 11 lbs in two weeks without starving, without supplements, without emptying my wallet and without having to go to the gym.  Kinda makes the achy body worth it.  

3 comments:

MonkeMama said...

Woohoo!!! Go Tia, I am proud of you. My dvd should be here any day now. I will heed your warning and go get a sports bra now. Love you!

Tia said...

Those damn jumping jacks call for a super extra squasher sports bra. You want NO MOVEMENT! :)

Anonymous said...

great share, great article, very usefull for me...thank

you