Healthy body, healthy spirit, healthy mothering. This is the journey I have set out on with my two amazing children.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Container garden year 2

Welcome to Tia's container gardening 101.  First things first.  Gather all your supplies.  This year I waited for the landscaper lady at Home Depot to ask a soil question.  Namely, what type of soil should I use?  Last year I used the cheapo stuff and while my veggies did grow, they didn't do as good as I was hoping.  This year we went for the name brand Miracle Gro for containers.  I'll let you know if it makes any difference.


Yes, the laptop, coke & cell phone are all on my list of essentials.  I put the music library on shuffle and cranked it up.  Heard some opera, Hank Williams Sr and Poison while planting.  Cool.

A big thanks to mom who moved into an apartment and gave me all of her plant containers (the buckets are mine).  I bought 2 tomato plants, 1 green pepper, 1 red pepper, 1 jalapeño, 1 strawberry, thyme and parsley.


After taking microbiology this semester and studying the different bacteria found in soil I decided to wear some gloves this year.  Not sure how much they helped.  I was breathing in the darn dirt as it flew everywhere anyway.  Plus, my gloves aren't that long so the dirt was filling them up from my wrists.  Maybe I should invest in a pair of ugly gardening gloves so the wrists will be tighter.  Anyway, it took me about 1 1/2 hours.  Only 15 of which was spent dodging a freaking bee the size of a baby bird.  I didn't swat at him, just ducked when he dived bombed my head.  Apparently he doesn't know the rule about "leave them alone and they won't bother you" because that booger was certainly bothering me.

So, I cheated and bought one tomato plant that is already sprouting some green tomatoes.  That's the tall one in this picture.    In the upper right corner you can also see the bottom of my hanging tomato planter.  The mom-in-love gave it to me for my birthday.  The homemade hanging planters I made last year were a disaster and I really want this one to work.  I just think it's the coolest thing to see plants spilling over their containers.  :)


I've still got 2 buckets with drainage holes, 2 large ceramic pots and 4 or 5 medium sized planters just waiting for something to go in them. Maybe on payday I'll get some lettuce and see how those grow in containers. I still want some dill, oregano and rosemary too.

No comments: