Healthy body, healthy spirit, healthy mothering. This is the journey I have set out on with my two amazing children.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

From Scratch




Kelen decided to bake a cake from scratch tonight.  He found a recipe in one of my old Betty Crocker cookbooks for Pineapple Upside Down Cake, searched for all of the ingredients (which we had on hand because he has been hinting at wanting to make this for weeks now).  He gathered everything onto the dining room table, pestered me with questions while I was on the phone with my Dad and waited patiently whiningly for me to help him.




This was really good practice for my, little  4th grader as he has just begun to learn fractions.  Being the cruel prepared momma that I am I saw this as a learning experience and got increasingly frustrated lovingly helped him add 1/3 + 1/3 so he could measure the sugar.


He artfully arranges the pineapple slices in the baking dish.  At first he was planning on dumping everything into my little oven proof mixing bowl.  This was when we had a quick discussion about the importance of reading ALL of the directions and being willing to ask for help (even tho at this age he THINKS he knows EVERYTHING).  


Little sister was only allowed to assist with this one.  She would make Vanna White proud don't ya think?


Tadaa!  This was a delicious cake, made entirely by Kelen.  Disclaimer: I may have showed him how to use my very expensive Kitchen-Aid mixer.  

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Oh, I love it! The cake looks delicious and I'm loving those photos of the kids! They're both beautiful!

Tia said...

Thanks Kathryn! I think they're beautiful too. :)