Healthy body, healthy spirit, healthy mothering. This is the journey I have set out on with my two amazing children.

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Fall camping trip

Kelen and I went on a camping trip this fall. It was postponed once because we got a major snowstorm and it was too cold. Let me tell you, it was still a bit nippy when we finally did get to go. Here is Eli waiting with some other Scouts, ready to head down to the flag ceremony.

This was our first activity. We hiked about a mile at 8am to get to the branding station. The boys made name badges. We were definitely still needing our coats, I would say it was around 40 degrees out with some nice, cold wind


Look at that flame. This is a nice shot if I do say so myself. :)


They are very big on safety. The branding iron went straight into the forge to stay hot for the next Scout.

Isn't that a cool name badge? It is still hanging on his wall.


This was probably one of the busiest stations. We got homemade rootbeer and some of the Boy Scouts were making fresh funnel cakes.


We did a LOT of hiking!


Here was Kelen's favorite station. BB gun shooting range.



This is the crevasing station. Here is the view from the top (where I stayed).


That is a looonnng way down. At least it seemed that way to the mom (me) standing on the edge of the giant rock staring down through a camera lens.


Once Kelen shimmied his way through this little crack I didn't see him again for 30 minutes. Apparently the paths through the boulders wind around for several miles. No worries, there were Boy Scout guides down there in case somebody got lost (several did) and several dads jumping around on the top of the boulders shouting aerial directions. :)


They got to learn about different horses but couldn't ride. :(


Tio John was teaching the boys about fire safety and how to start a fire. Is it just me or is that flame a bit too close to my sons head for this to be considered safe?


What I don't have a photo of is me trying to get dressed & into my mummy sleeping bag freezing my whoozits off. It got down to below 30 that night, Kelen abandoned me to camp out with a buddy and I realized that my tent is for summer camping. It doesn't close all the way on the sides...they are open netting. I'll bet that will be nice in the summer when I WANT a nice cool breeze floating through my tent. However, in Colorado in the mountains during October the last thing I wanted was MORE cold air inside. I was in thermal underwear, sweats, wool socks, wool sweater with thermal underwear, hat and gloves. Once I wrapped up in that mummy bag which is made to keep you warm all the way down to 0 degrees; I was snug as a bug in a rug. Except for my nose which I had to keep uncovered so that I could breathe.

My other mistake...I put up my tent in the dark and didn't realize that I was on a slight incline. Once I was in that silky sleeping bag I quickly discovered the problem. I kept sliding down to the door of my tent. It was definitely a learning experience for me.

I learned that I love my son a whole lot to put up with this kind crap. :) He is worth every second of my discomfort though because he had a blast and can't wait for our next camping trip. Hopefully it won't be until after the spring thaw.

No comments: