Healthy body, healthy spirit, healthy mothering. This is the journey I have set out on with my two amazing children.

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Cholesterol, lipoproteins & fats. Oh my!

Got the results of my life insurance blood tests in the mail yesterday. ALL of my levels are good. Every level is within "normal" parameters. So, what is the problem you say?

My freaking cholesterol. My total cholesterol is fine, not high (like I thought it would be). Unfortunately my ratio of HDL to total cholesterol is all wonky. My HDL is too low. HDL is the "good" cholesterol. Basically that means that it is the type of fat molecule that carries the other fats (including "bad" cholesterols) through the blood vessels, which keeps them from sticking to the walls of the vessels where they will cause all sorts of problems (like heart attacks & high blood pressure).

My options?
1. Regular cardio-exercise
2. Weight loss
3. Quit smoking
4. Reduction of fat intake

I already did #3. :) Yay me!

The numbers don't lie. I have some serious work to do.

*sigh*

I guess I better get my fat ass away from this computer and go for a walk.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Oh, pfft! Couldn't you just do the errant leg-lifts whilst typing...like I do??

Ouch, though...seriously. I guess you need to address that.

YAY for you for quitting smoking! I know how hard that can be. Good for you!

Tia said...

lol I like the leg lift idea. :)