Healthy body, healthy spirit, healthy mothering. This is the journey I have set out on with my two amazing children.

Saturday, September 26, 2009

our semi-healthy week


Stuffed zuchini. This was sooooo good. At least, I thought it was good. I used organic carrots, bell pepper, celery & onion from my CSA; which I chopped up into pretty small pieces. I browned (slightly burned) some hormone free beef with the veggies and 3 cloves of garlic. I LOVE garlic and so do the kids. Add a little bit of salt and black pepper, a dash of oregano and stuff a large organic CSA zuchini. Wait, I also tossed in a bit of parmesano-reggiano cheese for the kids. Bake this baby in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes and voila. Although, judging from the picture perhaps I should've either cooked the meat a bit less or had a lower temperature in the oven. But it was still really good. The kids managed to gag it down because they both wanted ice cream for dessert. Darn picky eaters. Aren't these diced vegetables gorgeous?


Thursday we headed to Casa Bonita for dinner and a show. Healthy? Not in any way, shape or form. Fun? Definitely!

This semi-mexican food is greasy, cheesy and not all that great.

Kelen went for the cheeseburger and fries.

The sopaipillas are to die for! And they are unlimited. I believe I had three.




This morning we had our first attempt at green smoothies. I discovered a couple of things.

1. My kids will drink their veggies, even though they won't eat them.

2. I need a better blender.


I kind of experimented with this smoothie and it turned out pretty good. 3 organic bananas, a quart bag of frozen organic strawberries, some Zrii, about 1/2 C organic kefir, about 1/2 C orange juice, 2 stalks of rainbow chard with the leaves, 1/2 TBSP green powder, a splash of sea minerals. Blend it up really good. This is how I decided I need a better blender. I could still see pieces of the leaves in my smoothie. Maybe it's just me but I had trouble drinking my smoothie because I could see the green floaties. Don't get me wrong, it tasted amazing! I couldn't even taste the chard. It's just that I could see it. Apparently I have a very strong connection between my eyes and my stomach and it was very difficult for me to overcome.


I will continue to find new ways to get fresh organic veggies into our meals.

3 comments:

MonkeyMama said...

So you had trouble with the smoothie because you could see green floaties? And you wonder why your kids are picky eaters?

MonkeyMama said...

oh yeah...we had the exact same thing for dinner last week, except I threw a can of tomatoes in my beef mixture. Everyone over the age of 18 loved it!

Tia said...

1. shaddup!
2. everyone here over 18 loved mine too!
3. read that sentence again. green floaties. seriously? who wouldn't have a problem with a drink that contains green floaties?