Healthy body, healthy spirit, healthy mothering. This is the journey I have set out on with my two amazing children.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

5 Faves (Kitchen Tools)

Saw a post over at http://farmersdaughterct.wordpress.com/ about her 5 favorite kitchen tools and it got me to thinkin'.

I am sitting here at my computer taking a break from studying for tomorrows chemistry exam and this seems like a nice break for my aching head.






1) Kitchen-Aid mixer

No way could I ever afford to buy this for myself. It was a great birthday (or was it Christmas) gift from my dad a few years ago and I absolutely love it! I use it to make pink stuff which is a family favorite for all major holidays, cakes, dressings, whipped cream, beating egg whites and lots of other stuff. I also tend to just grab the bowl and use it for a mixing bowl I would say at least 2x a week. The picture is Kelen making pink stuff for Easter dinner which leads to...




2) My kids

I know. I know. They aren't tools. But they are my little helpers and they help me to remember that cooking is supposed to be fun. Here is Nevaeh making our Easter dessert. She made us a cake with pink frosting and sprinkles.



3) My Rachel Ray chefs knives. Another gift. This time I am pretty sure it was Christmas and they were from Dad and Grandma. I love love love love these knives. I am teaching Kelen (9) to use them. Look at the way he curls those fingers under. Anyway, they are amazing for chopping onions, garlic (and smashing it), herbs, potatoes, carrots, lettuce, tomatoes, tofu and I am sure just about everything else except bread. I stick to the serrated knife for that.

4) 12" stainless steel pan

This is the greatest thing I have bought myself for the kitchen. I can use lower heat settings because they conduct heat so well. I use them for everything except eggs because the darn things stick. I know that the stainless steel is a healthier (for us and the environment) alternative to the coated non-stick pans so I try to use it all the time. Bonus: I can take off the little rubber handle and pop this baby in the oven for frittatas which the kids and I eat at least once a month.

5) Aprons

I agree with Mrs. Farmer's Daughter. I love my aprons. I haven't made one myself as my sewing skills are pretty much non-existent. I do collect them though. The more retro they look the better. They are as pretty as they are functional. They protect me from my messes (and I always make messes when I cook) and I love the way they look. :) I can keep a towel tucked in the pocket and I always have it to wipe my hands. I know I could just wipe my hands on the aprons (but if you are thinking that) it means you don't understand just how messy I am when I cook.

1 comment:

Farmer's Daughter said...

Thanks for playing along!

Someday I hope to have great kids who'll help me out in the kitchen :)