Healthy body, healthy spirit, healthy mothering. This is the journey I have set out on with my two amazing children.

Friday, March 20, 2009

Superstitions

So I was reading my usual blog roll today when I came across a very interesting post over at http://thesmittenimage.blogspot.com/ about superstitions.




Now, I am not going to write about my own superstitions. I have wayyyy too many to list. But when she asked what superstitions we, her readers, have, I got to thinking...And what I started thinking about was my Grandpa Shook.

Grandpa Shook said you should never ever kill a daddy-long-leg spider because that'll make it rain. At least that is the thought in my head. I don't actually remember Grandpa saying this to me but I KNOW that mom always told me that Grandpa Shook said it. So now I am wondering, DID Grandpa ever actually say this? I pass it on as something he did indeed say.


Every so often my heart gets a little flutter because I hear my kids talking to each other while watching a daddy-long-leg make his way across our home. They don't kill him. EVER. Why?




Because they know that Grandpa Shook said you should never ever kill a daddy-long-leg spider. The wisdom of Grandpa has been passed on in our family and this new generation of Shook's never even met him.





How cool is that?

2 comments:

Hilary said...

Just the way it should be. There are so many ways to keep a loved one's memory alive. Thanks for sharing. And thanks kindly for the linkage. :)

Anonymous said...

My kids don't kill daddy long legs for the same reason. :)
M