Healthy body, healthy spirit, healthy mothering. This is the journey I have set out on with my two amazing children.

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Spicy Tofu with Coconut Rice

Chopped 1 small white onion. Minced fresh ginger. 2 small garlic cloves chopped. Cook in small amount of peanut oil about 5 minutes then add the rice and toss to coat. Cover with 1 can coconut milk (I used organic) and 2 cups of water and some lime zest. Sounds complicated but it was really quite simple. While the rice was cooking I mixed the spices for the tofu (coriander, salt, sugar, cumin, cayenne, paprika). The tofu fried/sauteed in some more peanut oil for about 10 minutes. My pan was a bit crowded so it took longer.





I've been thinking about making this recipe for about a year. That's a looong time to wait. It sounds amazing. While preparing it it looked amazing. You can just ignore my picture. It was taken with my phone as I have once again broken my freaking digital camera. Was it worth the wait?






drum roll please............






It was. :) The rice is so creamy after cooking in the coconut milk. It was sweet with only a hint of onion and garlic to keep it from seeming like a dessert. The yellow color of the rice is because it calls for a tiny amount of turmeric. The tofu was wonderfully creamy inside and as it is fried in peanut oil the outside had a nice crunchy texture. YUM!
Kelen even ate the tofu. Of course he said he only liked the "burnt ones." I didn't bother explaining that it wasn't burnt and that that is how it should look. As long as the boy was eating something healthy I was one happy Momma. :) We have been doing pretty good around here with cooking and eating healthy foods. I am really trying to make sure there is actual food in our meals. I have not bought any canned or boxed meals. If there is anything from a box-processed foods- in my cupboards it is because somebody has given it to us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also fried some tofu for lunch and Kel ate it. He said tofu is his favorite fake meat. Heehee
M