Healthy body, healthy spirit, healthy mothering. This is the journey I have set out on with my two amazing children.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Fascinated




When I first came across this video I wasn't sure what to think. Why is she feeding another woman's baby? But the more I thought about it the happier it made me. Breast milk is the best food EVER for a baby. The men (culturally brainwashed) of this country have ridiculous superstitions about lactating women. Therefore the women don't nurse their babies. In a country as poor as this one EVERY single infant should be nursing for at least 12-24 months. Preferably 24 months. The immunity provided to these children would be invaluable. As it stand the life expectancy is only 41 years old in this war-torn (the civil war ended in 2002 but they are nowhere near recovery), economically depressed and amazingly beautiful country. According to ABC News they also have the highest infant mortality rate in the world.

IN THE WORLD. Sweet Jesus that is a serious problem.

While I am not an advocate for vaccinations the fact that 1 out of 5 babies are dying of tetanus makes me ill. If the mothers had received a vaccination they would pass this immunity on to their babies via their milk.

No comments: