Healthy body, healthy spirit, healthy mothering. This is the journey I have set out on with my two amazing children.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Reducing meat consumption

So I have started to realize that we need to stop eating an animal based diet. There are so many reasons to do this. Such as...



  • Did you know every time you eat a 1/4lb hamburger, you have contributed to the destruction of 70 acres of rainforest?

  • About 130 years ago the following illnesses were only found amongst the incredibly wealthy (they were the only ones that could afford to eat animal-foods regularly.): heart disease, diabetes, cancer, arthritis, alzheimers, constipation, menopause, PMS, osteoporosis and lots more

  • Over 80% of the grains we raise here in the U.S. are used to feed animals that we are raising to eat. Stupid much? Why don't we use that grain to feed ourselves or the thousands of starving PEOPLE in this world.

  • E.Coli & bird flu are just two of the many diseases that are caused by the animals we consume. E. Coli is because the animal crap is on our food. Gross.

  • Mass production of animals for consumption is using vast amounts of our water resources. They are also not required to treat the animal waste before it runs back into our "clean" water supplies. Drink poop much?

This is just off the top of my head. If I research it I could come up with pages of reasons. Point is...we are starting slowly. I cannot afford to just throw out the food that we have here at home. We get food from the food bank at church and that often has tuna, soups with meat & other processed crap that I am trying to stop consuming. So the kids and I are starting with dairy. We will still use butter (has to be healthier than margarine.) We will OCCASIONALLY buy cheese, but I plan to limit that to the really, good, expensive stuff maybe 1x a month. We are not buying anymore milk. I have asked the kids not to drink milk with their breakfast & lunch at school. I am not going to buy sour cream or yogurt but instead am using kefir. Yes this is dairy, but it is the healthiest alternative that I have found so far. The "good" bacteria in it apparently is more compatible with our bodies than those found in yogurt.



Here is my 1st attempt at cutting down the meat for dinner. Beef stroganoff. I'd say it was 90% mushroom to 10% beef. I used vegan worcestershire for the color & flavor & lots & lots & lots of onion, garlic & fresh shrooms.

No comments: