Healthy body, healthy spirit, healthy mothering. This is the journey I have set out on with my two amazing children.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Grease Withdrawal

The kids are both going through withdrawal. I told them that we are no longer eating at fast food restaurants. We have $45 per month to spend on eating out (per my new budget) and I am not using any of that money on fast food. It has to be a sitdown restaurant or if we are in a hurry we can go to Subway. The grumpiness of my kids at this is amazing! I really think that they have become addicted to greasy crap which cannot really even be called food. I mean food should have some nutritional value to it right? What value is there in a fast food burger or french fry? None.

So tonight I made some "fried" chicken and potatoes. The kids loved it. I did too because I knew it was actually healthy for us. I used all natural (no growth hormones or antibiotics) chicken drumsticks which I dipped in a kefir (kind of a natural yogurt) and skim organic milk mixture. Then it was coated with some whole grain, organic bran flake cereal, salt, pepper & some italian seasoning. I put it in the crock pot and it baked for about 4 hours. The outside "skin" was so crispy and not at all greasy. I steamed the potatoes then crisped them in the oven with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Yummy! We also had some carrot sticks for a vegie.

Now all I have to do is a bit of chemistry homework and drink some water while NOT eating any nighttime snack foods. This is my current attempt at health. I am determined to stop eating at night. Just drink water. I have been smoke free for 4 months now. I gave up diet pop about 2 months ago (which caused major withdrawal headaches) and now, I am giving up nightime snacking. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I shall not wish you luck, not until you "revise" your motivation statement! But, the recipe sounds good.
M