Healthy body, healthy spirit, healthy mothering. This is the journey I have set out on with my two amazing children.

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Super sweet not so sloppy joes



We were in the mood for sloppy joes last night. I had some sauce I had made and frozen that needed to be used and for once I found ground beef on sale and we used that rather than ground turkey. This was pretty darn good. We didn't have any hamburger buns so what I did was, crumble the ground beef into the skillet and then layered 3 thinly sliced potatoes and 1/4 yellow onion on top of that. Pour the sauce over the whole thing, cover it and let it simmer on medium low for 30 minutes. Shazaaam! Super sweet sloppy joes. Now the reason I added the "not so" to our sloppies is because the potatoes soak up a lot of the extra sauce, therefore no need to use a bun. :) I "made" garlic bread because the kids asked for it. Basically a bit of olive oil brushed on some wheat bread and then a light sprinkling of garlic salt. Hip hip hooray for quick, easy meals that the kids actually like! Oh, and I added a very basic tossed salad for some veggie goodness. The dessert was just a can of apple pie filling with a crumbley topping. In case you don't know, crumbley topping is melted butter, brown sugar and oatmeal which you toss on top of the filling and bake for about 15 minutes. Put a spoonful in a dish, add a dollop of whipped cream to the top, add another dollop of whipped cream straight into your mouth and the kids' and voila! :)
The kids' and I are really working on sticking to our budget. Hence, all the VERY basic, but also healthy meals. This is what we call single mother gourmet. I bought two 3-packs of organic romaine lettuce (buy one get one free) and 4 cucumbers. A tossed salad goes with any meal and Neva and I often have some for lunch. Potatoes are really quite cheap, at least here in CO they are and they can be dressed up or down in a multitude of ways. I have spent the last couple days going through my HUMONGOUS collection of cookbooks and I now have a 2 page list of recipes we would like to try. Of course, when I say we, I really mean, me. After all...my children love to eat but they are not so much fond of meal planning.
I am going to check out a house tomorrow morning...this one allows cats, has washer/dryer hookups, is in our same neighborhood, landlord pays ALL utilities, tile floors, and is on the lower level. *crossing fingers* It would be nice if something would work out fairly easily this year. Which reminds me the tow truck should be here any minute to pick up Seymour to install his new tranny. I gotta go.
Currently listening to: Wagner's Tristan and Isolde

1 comment:

Marli said...

Keep up the good work.